Hildago is located in the state of Guanajuato near San Miguel de Allende and has a population of about 55,000 people. The main economic activities of Hildago are tourism, crafts, grape growing, sheep farming and ceramic factories. It is also one of 36 villages in Mexico that has earned the right to be a Pueblo Magico. Some of the criteria for this designation consist of the following;
1) a population of 20,000 or more and be within 2 hours drive of a major tourist destination
2) have ancient peoples, history and culture
3) they are protagonists of important events and legends
4) have perserved symbolic attributes along with beautiful architecture
5) its people maintain their customs and traditions
As seen in the photo gallery, Talavera is the main ceramic factory and retail outlet in the Hildago area. It is also the most outstanding brand of pottery made in Mexico because the design of pieces is highly regulated by tradition. Briefly, the pieces are all hand made with only natural clay´s as opposed to chemically treated and dried clay over a 3 to 4 month period. After the pieces have been created, they are also hand painted. In order to earn the brand name of Talavera, pieces must be made in specific locations and from workshops that have been certified by knowledgeable officials.