This chapel sits on a hill which was the scene of a defining moment for the republic of Mexico. Here, on June 19, 1867; the verdict of the war tribunal was carried out when Maximillan of Hapsburg together with his generals Miguel Miramon and Tomas Mejia were executed by a firing squad. This act sealed the triumph of the Republic and returned sovereignty to Mexico. In 1900 the government of Austria asked permission to build a chapel on the spot. Today this hill is a national park called Cerro de las Campanas and is located in the city of Queretaro. It also includes a large statute of former President Benito Juarez, a museum, the University of Queretaro, and a recreation area.